Director of Student Affairs
The University of the Commonwealth Caribbean invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of Director of Student Affairs
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Director of Student Affairs is responsible for managing matters relating to the general social, cultural, welfare, and retention of students for a growing campus and online student population.
The Director ensures that the University offers a comprehensive array of quality student services which support and enhance the on-campus and online instructional programmes and which promote student success. The Director will establish the strategic plan for Student Services for the University and ensures that the resources, policy and translation of policy into organizational structure are in place for success in conjunction with university-wide strategic planning and assessment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in the establishment of current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies for Student Affairs, subject to approval by the Academic Affairs directorate.
- Oversees the development and facilitation of extracurricular and co-curricular activities/programmes that promote personal growth and student success.
- Provide individual and/or group counseling to students.
- Promotes student participation in social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities.
- Coordinates preparation and publication of a Student Affairs/Institutional Calendar.
- Plan and coordinate career advisement events and expositions. Support academic advisement process and services.
- Facilitate the process of student governance through the Student Union and the establishment of Academic and Social Clubs. Provide oversight to current and planned student clubs at UCC.
- Provide support, advice, guidance, direction and authorization to student groups and clubs in carrying out plans consistent with established UCC policies.
- Address student conduct issues as necessary. Responsible for communicating student conduct policies and procedures to student and staff for maintaining accurate files for conduct violations occurring at the school. Facilitate student adherence to UCC policies.
- Visit and provide chaplaincy support for students dealing with personal/family illness or bereavement.
- Organize and manage intra-mural competitions (including sports, debates, entrepreneurial etc)
- Collaborate with other departments in support of a coordinated approach to student recruitment and retention activities and participate in the evaluation of such initiatives.
- Initiate, develop, and sustain strong positive relations with the leadership of Academic Affairs to ensure the achievement of the strategic mission of the UCC.
- Develop and monitor health and welfare support measures.
- Maintain accurate records of the activities of the Student Services Office and provide a monthly report on these activities.
Qualification and Experience
- A Doctorate or Terminal Degree
- At least five (5) years of experience in one or more of the following: student affairs, higher education administration or higher education counseling services is required.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with both student and faculty populations
- Superior organizational and problem resolution skills
- Strong computer and analytical skills
- Ability to carry out details of planned outcomes
- Familiar with Facebook, Twitter and other Social Media networks.
- Work effectively as a leader or team member to ensure that departmental goals are met.
- Ability to prioritize work and perform well under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and perform well under pressure.
- Ability to comply with regulatory requirements with respect to student academic records and other documentation.