Dean, Undergraduate Studies
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs, the successful applicant will have responsibility for assisting in the coordination and monitoring of all undergraduate academic programmes.
The University of the Commonwealth Caribbean invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of:
Dean, Undergraduate Studies
Some Duties And Responsibilities
1. Assist the Associate Vice President, Academic and Student Affairs to ensure the efficient processing of course and examination schedules in association with the HOD’s, HOS and Programme Coordinators.
- Ensure that texts, electronic database and other relevant course materials are in sufficient supply and are available and/or prepared on a timely basis as required for the efficient delivery of the undergraduate programmes.
- Ensure that examination scripts are in accordance with documented institutional and academic procedures.
- Ensure that required academic planning is done ahead of each semester.
- Review the delivery of undergraduate programmes that are delivered online.
2. Guide and monitor adherence to academic policies and procedures.
3. Guide the development of new academic programmes and monitor the evaluation of current programmes in collaboration with the Quality Assurance Manager.
4. Ensure measures are in place for faculty, recruitment, retention and development.
5. Faculty Oversight
- Supervision of full-time and part-time faculty members, in collaboration with Heads of Schools and Departments.
- Administer: Faculty course evaluations, observations, peer reviews, and searches.
- Meets with faculty members to address requests and issues.
- Implements University policies articulated in the Faculty and Student Handbooks, and makes recommendations to the AVPAA for improvements as necessary.
6. Play a creative and active role in clarifying ‘course policies’ and participating in relevant discussions and/or seminars, from time to time, on any curriculum developments that are germane to the programmes being offered.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the University Council of Jamaica Registration and Accreditation; Matriculation, Articulation and Transfer Credit; as well as other validation processes.
- To oversee the accreditation of undergraduate programmes. In collaboration with the Director of Quality Assurance.
7. Represent the Institution by attending relevant training sessions and seminars. as required, from time to time.
8. Counsel students about transfer arrangements, course selection, pre-requisites and co-requisites as applicable.
9. Assist with recruitment and the proper orientation of suitable qualified full-time and part-time lecturers for the programmes according to documented guidelines and procedures.
10. Facilitate the delivery of prompt service and the maintenance of high educational standards and exemplary teaching quality.
11. Assist with the development and timely implementation of appropriate marketing and public relations programmes through:
- Contributing to the promotion of the various programmes offered by the University to different interest groups of employers and employees, and students through participation in school career expositions, for instance.
- Ensuring the new and prospective participants are provided with accurate and up-to-date information about the University and its programmes offerings.
12. Prepare a monthly status report on all activities, challenges, action(s) taken, and recommendations for the Associate Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs.
- Participate in the Academic Council, as well as School or Department meetings as requested, to report progress, problem areas and any recommended actions.
13. In collaboration with the respective Heads of Schools and Departments, within and outside the Division of Academic Affairs, co-ordinate the following activities:
- School and Department Operations
- Maintenance of the academic structure and standards
- Management of staff, teaching and non teaching
- Staff development plans and activities
14. Coordinate the use and development of human resources, in conjunction with the respective administrative heads, and HRD.
15. Assist in the oversight of all administrative requirements in respect of Operational Plan Implementation - Academic and Student Affairs
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Doctoral degree in a discipline represented at the University.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in academic administration.
- Excellent human relations, team-management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A well-developed record of university research publications, teaching, academic advising, professional and community service.
Please Note, Only Shortlisted Candidates will be Contacted.