The University of the Commonwealth Caribbean invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of: LIBRARY OFFICER
To perform moderately complex processing of library materials and provide service to library clients through the application of set procedures, standards and practices, with the aid of appropriate electronic equipment.
Administrative Responsibilities include (but not limited to) the following:
- Provide efficient, courteous, reliable and accurate service to library patrons.
- Assist with various clerical duties, maintaining an attractive and neat environment; and performing other duties as required.
- Assist in preliminary cataloging, storing, preserving and retrieving library documents/materials.
- Identify library and information needs of patrons, respond to complaints and reports on the resolution or non-resolution of the problem.
- Assure the implementation of official library policy and procedures therefore a full understanding of library is required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Provide courteous service/advice.
- Resolution of minor customer complaints.
- Provide feedback to customers on progress of query.
- Contribute ideas for service improvement.
- Perform circulation desk duties, as assigned and according to procedures.
- Assist students and staff in locating, evaluating and using information resources of all types.
- Deal with minor patron challenges and queries.
- Instruct borrowers in ‘self-help’ procedures.
- Maintain collection including identifying items needing repair.
- Process applications for reciprocal borrowing privileges according to procedures.
- Perform registration of new and reregistered patrons and input patron information in circulation database.
- Create patron records in circulation database under conditions stipulated by procedures manual.
- Identify items needing repair and report old or infrequently used materials.
- Answer reference questions in person or by telephone and conduct the needed research involved.
Document Delivery/Interlibrary Loans
- Maintain Inter Library Loan files.
- Issue and discharge loan according to procedures.
- Process incoming requests from other libraries according to procedures.
- Produce and insert bookplates.
- Monitor and run claims.
- Receive periodicals according to procedures
- Monitor and maintain stationery supplies.
- Receive and sort course reserves
- Place items on check-in record and process for shelves in accurate and timely manner.
- Retrieve older issues of periodicals when necessary.
Compilation of Records/ Inventory Duties
- Record and compile daily statistical reports
- Display public information forms and publications including college catalogs, information brochures, etc.
- Prepare and display closure notices
- Shelve and straighten new books and other circulating materials as necessary.
- Schedule audiovisual equipment for patron use
- Photocopy newspaper clippings as is necessary
- Conduct inventory of audio-visual materials
- Report on progress and problems of specific duties at weekly meetings
Decision Making Authority
- Has the authority to make decisions regarding the delivery of services within the limits set by the Librarian.
- To perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels across the institution both orally and in writing.
- Ability to display a high level of confidentiality, tact and diplomacy in dealing with internal and external customers and customer information.
- Excellent organizational skills with the capability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Display a high level of initiative, accountability and integrity
- Must display and appreciation for the UCC philosophy and mission
- The ability to work well within a team.
- A Bachelors Degree in Library Studies or any business related field.
- At least two (2) years working experience in a similar or related capacity.
- Diploma in Library Studies or related qualification.