Online Technical Officer
The University of the Commonwealth Caribbean invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the position of:
Online Technical Officer
This is a key position responsible for assisting with the implementation of UCC’s virtual learning initiatives; for the development of innovative and engaging educational content; and for the establishment and maintenance of quality-assured content.
DUTIES include (but not limited to) the following:
- Review in conjunction with subject matter experts, the content, design and structure of all online courses.
- Assist and collaborate with other course developers/faculty to write/refine goals and instructional strategies for courseware.
- Convert all UCC courses to online format.
- Edit, refine written content as necessary.
- Develop modular internet-based courses for UCC degree programmes.
- Develop modular internet-based courses for UCC short-courses.
- Ensure courseware development activities are delivered with high quality and meet timelines.
- Develop/design games, puzzles, quizzes as interactive online formats.
- Develop learner-centred, user-friendly learning solutions.
- Coordinate training activities and develop support material for faculty and students in the Learning Management System(s).
- Provide technical assistance and support to faculty and students.
- Facilitate the orientation process for faculty and online students.
- Design and administer course surveys to gather metrics and feedback.
- Upload course content, schedules and other learning resources.
- Manage asynchronous and synchronous class schedules.
- Track programme participation of faculty and students.
- Manage student and lecturer activity on LMS.
- Assist with identifying potential online university programmes that can add diversity, status and revenue to UCC’s current slate of offerings.
- Ensure all faculties have resources, facilities and equipment to engage in effective instruction at a distance.
- Assist with the development of and update manuals, policies and procedures to guide faculty and students.
- Develop a monitoring mechanism to ensure quality assurance of all UCC online courses.
- Manage the Zoom platform for UCC staff and faculty.
- Create Zoom accounts for UCC staff and faculty.
- Provide Zoom training for UCC staff, faculty and students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
This position requires knowledge and skill with MOODLE, the platform for delivery of UCC’s online courses, the ability to answer enquiries from students and faculty about the use of the technology, and knowledge of instructional design principles for online courses. The position requires planning and organizational skills, attention to detail, initiative, adaptability, ability to prioritize and multi-task and excellent oral and written skills.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Information Systems, instructional design or related field and at least five years’ experience in distance learning and instructional design. Experience with teaching online or with curriculum development is an advantage.