UCC Academy Principal
The University of the Commonwealth Caribbean invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons within the area of the Regional Campuses to fill the position of:
UCC Academy Principal
The successful applicant will have responsibility for the coordination and monitoring of all UCC Academy programmes. The role includes the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of all administrative and operational areas relating to academic programs, creates plans, policies and processes in support of the administration of faculty teaching, research, internship, professional as well as community service activities in collaboration with School and Department Heads. The responsibilities of this staff member will also include internal program review, in collaboration with the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dean Undergraduate Studies and Director of Quality Assurance,
RESPONSIBILITIES (includes but not limited to):
- The UCC Academy Principal, will be responsible for liaising with the various stakeholders at all the host schools in the various parishes and guiding all the related academic functions of the program especially prior to start-up.
- Review draft program structure, schedules, content and learning materials for the various associate degree programs; schedules, timetables etc with a view to include adequacy and make necessary adjustments as required.
- Review existing Campuses to ensure their viability to support the implementation of the project at the highest service level. This to include equipment and personnel needs.
- Convene meetings and training workshops with host institutions and select/proposed campus coordinators/recruiters and faculty members within the cluster groups.
- Maintain frequent communication with the campus coordinators and faculty members through memos, notices to update and provide pertinent information to ensure a smooth operation of the program(s).
- Assist in the supervision of the designated host school academic staff (where applicable) ensuring maximum efficiency of operations and making recommendations for improvements/changes in the best interest of the UCCA as a whole.
- Play a creative and active role in clarifying ‘course policies’ and participating in relevant discussions and/or seminars, from time to time, on any curriculum development as is germane to the programmes being offered at all locations.
- Direct and guide the recruitment and the proper orientation of suitably qualified lecturers for the programmes according to documented guidelines and procedures. Ensure the delivery of prompt service and the maintenance of high educational standards and exemplary teaching quality.
- Prepare a brief monthly status report for the Board of Directors, UCC Group on all administrative and academic activities of the designated host schools within each parish, the challenges, action(s) taken, and recommendations etc. This report is expected to be a collaborative effort spearheaded by the UCC Academy Principal, Parish Managers and various UCC Academy Campus Coordinators and submitted at the appropriate setting. Participate in departmental meetings (as scheduled) to report progress, problem areas and any recommended action points.
- Ensure through communication with the UCC Library that texts and other relevant course materials are in sufficient supply and are available on a timely basis as required.
- Oversight of initial implementation and assessment activities; in tandem with relevant UCCA VPs, plan orientation program for students admitted to UCC Academy program.
- Conducts ad hoc analysis to support decision-making; oversees management of faculty records and commitment tracking.
- Implements procedures and policies concerning faculty and non-faculty academic staff appointments. Develops and maintains a web-enabled database for the recording and retrieval of appointment data for utilization in reporting and planning by academic staff and administration.
- Develops and manages office budget; prepares budget projections.
- Engage corporate Jamaica and other benevolent local and international organizations to sponsor scholarships for students who have not been able to receive a scholarship from the MOEYI or their parents/guardians will not be able to finance their studies.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the UCJ Registration and Accreditation; the partner institution’s course policies, guidelines and requirements; UCC Matriculation, Articulation and Transfer Credit; as well as other validation process.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience in academic personnel issues and policies.
- Knowledge of the retention, tenure, and promotion process.
- Strong leadership or supervisory experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to acquire knowledge of campus procedures, activities and of the overall organization.
- Successful experience working with a diverse and multi-cultural community.
- Knowledge and understanding of higher education and quality assurance practices
- Good numerical skills and an understanding of statistics
- Planning and organization skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Team working skills
- IT skills
- Excellent time management skills
Qualifications & Requirements:
- A Masters Degree a Doctoral Degree would be an asset.
- At least five (5) years of experience in the field or related/transferrable field.