Frequently Asked Questions
- What does the "processing fee" of JA$9000.00 include?
The processing fee includes the administrative cost to:
- retrieve the files,
- review their contents to ascertain if all matriculation and academic requirements are met,
- check if there are any library obligations outstanding
- check if there are any financial obligations outstanding
- offset a portion of the expense involved in staging the commencement ceremony, including but not limited to the rental of gowns, caps, venue etc.
- What if a student only requires the certificate but does not necessarily want to participate in the graduation ceremony? Is there a cost for the certificate separate and apart from the graduation fee?
No, there is not a separate cost. Each graduand’s contributes to the cost of processing the applications and staging the ceremony.
- Why is the processing fee so much? What are you processing?
The processing fee does not cover the economic cost of the graduation exercise. It is a contribution that is normally made by graduating students at universities.
- How soon after the commencement ceremony will I receive my certificate?
These certificates will be available for collection within a month of the date of the commencement ceremony, unless otherwise advised.
- What if I completed all my courses, missed the application deadline and applied as a “Walker”?
Once you successfully complete all matriculation and academic requirements leading to the award of the degree before May 31, 2018; your certificate will be prepared and issued with those for students who receive their degrees during the July 2018 commencement ceremony. These certificates will be available for collection within a month of the date of the commencement ceremony, unless otherwise advised.
- What is the next step after I apply to graduate and pay the processing fee?
Each student will be advised via their UCC student gmail account if he or she has been academically cleared once he/she has met the established criteria, and paid the fees.=
- Why am I paying the processing fee and I don’t know if I will be eligible to graduate? Couldn’t I pay the processing fees after I have been cleared?
You are required to pay the processing fee in order for your file to be processed. It is the process of clearing that will reveal whether you are eligible to graduate. In the interim, you may consult your Aeorion account for a basic indication of your programme completion.
- What if I missed both the deadline to graduate and “walk”?
We are sorry that you missed the deadlines for applying to graduate or “walk” in July 2018 despite the numerous messages sent. Students who missed both deadlines are encouraged to apply to have their degrees conferred during the December 2018 conferral period. The portal will be opened by October 2018.
- Can I still apply for my Associate degree?
Students who complete the lower levels of their degrees have until August 2018 to apply for the Associate degree. Thereafter you will only be allowed to apply for that degree if you exit the BSc programme. This means that you will not be able apply to apply for that degree during the December conferral period as that option will no longer be available.
Please review the letter which was emailed to all students outlining this new policy direction.
- What should I expect if I applied to “walk” during the July 2018 commencement ceremony?
If you choose to “Walk”, your degree will be awarded during the conferral period immediately following the completion of all your academic requirements without the submission of another application.
In order to qualify as a Walker, you are required to meet the following conditions:
- Have no more than three (3) modules outstanding to be completed in the Fall 2018 semester.
- Must be fully registered for the Fall semester i.e. pay for at least one module in addition to the miscellaneous fee which is a total of $39,000 by July 16, 2018.
- Must have paid all outstanding fees for the 2018 Summer session by June 30, 2018.
- Each applicant will receive a response indicating the status of academic clearance; this will be sent to your UCC email address
- All successful applicants are required to pay a processing fee of $9,000 by March 31, 2018, extended to April 30th, 2018.
- Be willing to pay the additional processing fee of $2500.00 to update your records for the release of your certificate.
- What if my file is processed and I am not eligible to graduate in July 2018?
Students who submitted an application to graduate in the July 2018 conferral period and are advised of their ineligibility, may be successful in participating as a “Walker”. In this regard, you’ll now have the option to attend this July 2018 or wait another eight (8) months to attend next July after completing your program in December 2018.
To be a part of our 2018 commencement ceremony means you would have met the criteria listed above.
- What if I have more than 4 courses pending?
The University cannot confirm your clearance for graduation until you have successfully sat and passed the exams for these courses.
- What are the payment options for the processing fees?
Payment maybe made at the main campus, regional campuses or Aeorion online using the options:
- Online Application
Remember to contact us if you are having special challenges and we will seek to collaborate with you to reach an amicable solution.
- Can persons who where conferred in December attend the ceremony?
Yes, an invitation will be sent inviting graduates whose certificates where conferred in December 2017 to attend the ceremony
- Is there any additional cost to attend the ceremony for December graduates?
Yes, you will be required to pay an additional $4000.
For additional information, please peruse the graduation webpage at http://ucc.edu.jm/graduation/ your UCC gmail accounts and future updates.
Thank you for making the UCC your choice for higher education!